[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/3/ - 3DCG - ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!!!!111

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

File: 3082197914_6146b34604_m.jpg-(83 KB, 213x240)
ANOTHER ONE OF THESE...
ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!!!!111 Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)04:18 UTC+1 No.410936 Report

Sup, t/3/apots?

I want to make some crappy little 3D movies with crappy little low-poly characters and enivornments.

I'm a hobbyist. I don't ever want to get a job in video games or movies or design or art. I have no industry ambitions whatsoever. This is strictly for small scale personal projects.

Which 3D package would you recommend for someone like me?

Money's no object, because I don't intend to actually pay for any software, so go crazy but remember that I have no dreams of working for Pixar or Blizzard.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)04:40 UTC+1 No.410937 Report

Just get blender or maya. You'll find the most resources for those two as their so widely used.

Good luck with your hobby!
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)06:55 UTC+1 No.410951 Report

Daz Studio and Wings 3D would be a good start. Not just because they're free (which isn't an issue if you're pirating as you said) but because they are very simple. They'll serve to introduce you to all the basic concepts of 3D art. Once you've grown with them you can decide whether you want to stay at that level or move up to a more professional package like Maya.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)09:00 UTC+1 No.410961 Report

Blender:
>It is free
>Has all the functions you need
>Almost
>Is going to become more and more a Maya clone

Maya:
>Pirated, it's free
>Has all the functions you
>Plugins can be pirated as well
>It's going to stay on top for a while and lead the market
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)11:50 UTC+1 No.410969 Report

>>410961
>Becoming a Maya clone
Dear god I hope not.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)12:07 UTC+1 No.410971 Report

>>410969

It won't. Too many of it's users scream whenever anything is done to make the software user friendly. They like using a 3D modeller that is based on the user interface of a Text Adventure game.

Visual interface for creating visual art? That's just fucking crazy talk! Memorizing huge, kludged together lists of hot keys is so much more intuitive.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)12:51 UTC+1 No.410976 Report

>>410971

It's more like they aren't willing to sacrifice speed and usability in order to make it more intuitive.

Blender's quite fast once you pick it up. It just takes a while to pick up.

Either way, stuff's changing. There's a UI team that has the final say on what goes on interface-wise. The technical lead is the guy who wrote Cycles, and they have the full support of both Ton (the Linus Torvalds of the Blender world) and the Blender Institute. Changes will be pushed through, although so far they seem geared towards making things more consistent and improving workflow rather than making things easier for beginners.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)14:36 UTC+1 No.410989 Report

>>410976

It's UI has to change because they've pretty much started to run out of room for more short cuts to be added which makes it very difficult for developers to write plug ins to support it. The UI has become a sprawling mess which not only discourages new users from learning it but makes developers less likely to support it.

So the choice is either to become more user and developer friendly or forever stagnate.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)14:38 UTC+1 No.410990 Report

>>410976

>implying counter-intuitive = usability.
>>
Anonymous 02/21/14(Fri)14:41 UTC+1 No.410992 Report

>>410990

>>410971 was implying that hotkeys weren't intuitive. That's probably pretty accurate.

Hotkeys are extremely usable, but they're not intuitive.

So, yes, I am implying that counter-intuitive = usability in this one case.

You have a point to make?
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)02:53 UTC+1 No.411074 Report

>>410976

I'm amazed there hasn't been a major fork project that focuses entirely on improving the interface.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)05:00 UTC+1 No.411111 Report

>>411074

It's a lot of work. Any developers familiar enough with the code to do the work are actively improving Blender already.

The only thing that was really missing was someone to put their foot down and say what was going to be done. That's what the UI team is for.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)10:33 UTC+1 No.411137 Report

>>410992

Every fucking program in the world has hotkeys. It's not like Blender invented that.

Blender has no choice but to rely on hotkeys only because most of its functions are not readily available through the GUI.

If you haven't already memorized the hotkeys for a function chances are you won't be able to find that function through the GUI. It's impossible to memorize every hotkey thus this seriously hinders Blender's usability.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)12:17 UTC+1 No.411147 Report

>>411137
>Blender has no choice but to rely on hotkeys only because most of its functions are not readily available through the GUI.

Well, actually most is available by the GUI. The dependency on hotkeys is an issue from the past. But i don't think hotkeys in 3d suits are big problem, you _have to_ learn them in every 3d program, or you will waste lots of time clicking somwhere around or with scrolling through menus instead of doing actual working. No matter if you're using Blender, C4D, max or something else.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)12:25 UTC+1 No.411149 Report

>I want to make some crappy little 3D movies with crappy little low-poly characters and enivornments.

Well, i personally use Blender for something similar. Works for me. I find the old Blender Internal renderer very good for that purpose. I will try to proceed with that little scene this weekend.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)12:27 UTC+1 No.411150 Report

>>410971
>>410989
>>411137
I'm real sick of this mentality. Blender users aren't hipsters who worship some pointless nonstandard design. Every time someone says that shit, they just prove how ignorant they are and how little they actually used it. Blender users have discovered how efficient it is by dedicating themselves to its UI, that's why they lose their shit when whiny baby faggots want it turned into Windows 8 because it's too haaaaarrrrrd.

The Blender UI is great when you LEARN IT. Having spent a lot of time with Max, Maya, and Blender, I can easily say Blender became the fastest workflow. There's a lot of reasons for this, and the hotkey system has a lot to do with it (no it didn't invent it, but it does make the most of it). One major reason is the organization of panels and the fact that they only use some visual priority for functions. Instead of inflating this and that into unnecessary screens and buttons because people need babby's first program like Max and Maya, they condense a lot of wasteful space into a series of panels and widgets that can be navigated far more quickly. It assumes you know your shit, and you most certainly should. Of course new users are going to be discouraged. The goal is to create an efficient program for the skilled, not weaken the interface for beginners. If you care enough, you'll learn it.

By the way, most of its hotkey functions are available through the GUI. You just made it clear you spent no time using Blender.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)13:43 UTC+1 No.411153 Report

>>411150
blender is *not* an efficient program, by any stretch of the imagination
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)13:54 UTC+1 No.411154 Report

>>411153
Your posting is not an efficient way of trolling, by any standard of 4chan.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)13:59 UTC+1 No.411155 Report

Been a blender user since 2006. I'll be the first to admit that it's not the best user interface. A lot of blender users have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome relationship with the software, especially us older users. It sucks but we've been so brutalized learning to use it that we convince ourselves we actually love its user interface in order to justify the pain we put us through. This is why we fight so hard against and user interface changes. Every time they change the interface we have to relive our hostage situation all over again. We're definitely not hipsters who use it ironically because it's difficult, we're victims of software induced PTSD who use it because we're afraid of having to use anything else.
>>
Anonymous 02/22/14(Sat)15:58 UTC+1 No.411162 Report

>>411155

Yeah, speak for yourself there.

From everything I've seen in the endless UI debates, the problem isn't necessarily resistance to change (there is some, yes, but it's not the major issue). It's lack of agreement on what should be changed, and how.

I'm encouraged by the progress the UI team has made. 2.7.0 just went into feature freeze for an RC1 release, and it has a lot of the simpler UI changes. Work on 2.7.1 is already underway and promises more.

>>411137

1) I never said Blender invented them, just that Blender makes good use of them

2) You've got that backwards - Blender was designed for hotkeys with the GUI operations as a secondary fallback.

3) That problem was solved years ago, try to keep up. Spacebar menu search FTW. If you actually learned it instead of bitching about something you clearly don't understand, maybe you'd get somewhere in the world.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.