[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/3/ - 3DCG

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)16:55 UTC+1 No.434067 Report

After looking around this was supposedly done with a 3d base model. But clearly they didn't paint uv maps, and I can't imagine any projection system + 3d brush system to be up to this quality. Does anyone have any idea on how this is done with 3d tools?
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)19:03 UTC+1 No.434078 Report

>>434067
>paint uv maps

You mean they didn't paint it in a 2D editor and assign it to a unwrapped mesh?
I can't see why not, that looks like typical classic texture work, you could 3D paint it today if you liked too
but no reason you couldn't just use photoshop. That there looks like a diffuse flat lit/unshaded with
some oscillating texture blending between maps for the animation.
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)19:12 UTC+1 No.434081 Report

>>434078
You don't have to have UV's to paint texture detail anymore thanks to ptex. Maya and Mudbox support it as far as I know. Ptex isn't supported in games, but you could just render a picture and use it as a sprite, much like Donkey Kong Country and Starcraft did.
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)19:36 UTC+1 No.434083 Report

>>434081
Well yes, but if you wanna use Ptex you gotta use a 3D painting suite.
The difference of the 2D tools in those and the ones in a professional 2D editor like photoshop is like night and day.
Besides If you wanna paint stuff like that on a 3D surface you need to be a painter can actually paint it in 2D in the first place.
And if you're that good of a painter you probably already know your photoshop inside out so using it won't be a issue for you.
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)19:58 UTC+1 No.434085 Report

>>434083
>Well yes, but if you wanna use Ptex you gotta use a 3D painting suite.

Ptex is dead technology m8 move the fuck on already. UVs are so superior, its not even funny.
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)21:07 UTC+1 No.434095 Report

>>434085
I wouldn't call it dead, but I do agree conventional UV is superior in terms of quality. Ptex is still good tech for creating content of secondary importance quickly.
>>
Anonymous 07/31/14(Thu)22:59 UTC+1 No.434118 Report

>>434078
so they make a 3d model, screen shot it, put it in photoshop, paint over it and then lay it over the 3d model in another program somehow?
>>
Anonymous 08/01/14(Fri)00:15 UTC+1 No.434128 Report

>>434118
You don't need another program to do it. Most people paint directly on the unwrapped UV shells, I like to do what you describe though.
I take an orthographic view of my model in the relevant angle, assign a secondary UV set facing camera and print the screen.
Then I assign this texture to the model using the secondary UV set and do a texture bake onto the primary UV holding my unwrapped UV's.
It's a lot slower than 3D painting but the quality of the result and tools available makes it very worthwhile.

This is also how you would go about removing a texture seam using only your image editor and your 3D app.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.