[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/3/ - 3DCG - Rendering, detailing, etc

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

Rendering, detailing, etc Anonymous 08/30/14(Sat)10:05 UTC+1 No.438610 Report

So, I've been modeling for a little while and I'm decent at creating basic objects and organizing them in a scene.

I'd like to see if I can create something more polished. How can I start to make nice renders?

Pic related is a good example. I use Maya as my main software. Is all this sort of detailing and rendering done through setting values in Maya?

For example, in the render attached, are small detail objects like the leaves modeled in Maya or do people create them elsewhere and import? Are the patterns on the walls created in photoshop and then imported as a texture before sending the scene through a rendering process?

I know these questions must sound dumb, but I'm pretty clueless about this part of the process. Thanks teapots.
>>
Anonymous 08/30/14(Sat)11:07 UTC+1 No.438616 Report

The term you're looking for is "texturing".

Texturing is like giving your objects some skin, maybe it's a color, maybe it's a picture, maybe it's a picture with dirt drawn or mixed in it, or maybe it's procedural, meaning the shader will paint stuff on it according to a few parameters from your rendering software and conditions within your scene.

To start making nice renders, you must first make really bad renders. Texturing is a big part of it, but there's also lighting and composition... and yeah some other things, but those are the basics. It might take you a long time before you make a render that will be on par with the average, say, a few months, but you can bypass that training by completing tutorials, it will be faster and you'll catch a workflow you'll be comfortable with. Architectural visualization is pretty educational, it has the right amount of everything you wanna know, I'd recommend it.

Good day.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.