[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/3/ - 3DCG

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

File: 594_max.jpg-(214 KB, 949x1200)
So /3/,I work for a medical,...
Anonymous 02/15/14(Sat)12:48 UTC+1 No.410018 Report

So /3/,

I work for a medical, industrial, oil&gas type of 3D company. I've been working here for almost 6 months... And I feel like they treat me like shit.

Currently they have me on three projects with the same due date. Two of which are from this huge potential long term client. Well When I first started this project a few months ago they had this guy working on one of the projects, they didn't like his work yadda yadda they let him go and gave me the job.... Now they neglected to tell me I was taking over and that I had to basically redo his project. Now I work by contract... So this other asshole got paid for it and they ask me to fix it without pay...

3 months later... deadline hits, i'm overwhelmed. not sleeping but maybe 6 hours a week and they refuse to understand how they dropped this bullshit on me... now we have 5000 frames to render in 2 days on a 2000 dollar budget and if I don't get it in on time i'm straight up/probably fired even though i've been doing a great job...and always have..

FML

RANT OVER
>>
Anonymous 02/15/14(Sat)13:08 UTC+1 No.410019 Report

render farm
Take over as many fucking company computers as you can or hire out.
I've used render rocket and renderTITAN before.
Whats you're avg frame-time, core counts and memory usage? Anything you can do in post or to lower the time the better.

Fuck man, since I know how up a creek this shit is, I've got a small farm I've set up at my place. 4x i7s with 12gb of ram each (basically just 4 enthusiast gaming rigs).
>>
Anonymous 02/15/14(Sat)13:17 UTC+1 No.410021 Report

>>410019
Problem is we're a company that works solely from home,

I have 3 company computers, a coworker of mine has 3 as well. All rendering and I have 5 scenes on Rendercore!

I'm thinking about pitching an idea to my boss to invest in making a render farm. Cheaper then using Rendercore... If i'm still around.

I need to get with a company that has a home office. I hate this working from home stuff when it comes to rendering and troubleshooting... Doesn't work for animation...Maybe graphic design but not animation.
>>
Anonymous 02/15/14(Sat)13:21 UTC+1 No.410022 Report

I'm also compositing most of my shit.

I'm not using much except for this one scene..And the lead animator who can't texture or light worth shit is the one who did the scene and the company likes how it looks so they want me to keep it.. I could have done better and faster. I'm using 21 cores, 7 gigs a finished scene.
>>
Anonymous 02/15/14(Sat)13:28 UTC+1 No.410024 Report

>>410021
As long as you stick to consumer hardware, $2k will get you like 2 maybe 3 barebones pcs with onboard video and i7s

Also, your memory usage is key. A ton of times, home-based rendering doesn't realize that you can launch multiple instances of maya (or whatever) if you have like a quad core cpu. Lock each render session to x threads and blammo.

Also cache, cache, cache. Anything that can be cached should. Storage is cheaper than CPU time.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.