[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/3/ - 3DCG

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

File: topo.png-(109 KB, 1008x541)
So I am making this rabbit for...
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)07:57 UTC+1 No.427728 Report

So I am making this rabbit for a game, as a main character. This is my first animate object, it turned out much better than I expected.

Could you rate the topology? Should I fix anything? I know that quads and edgeflow are very important for animating and rigging, I don't know though whether such topo will be efficient.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)08:39 UTC+1 No.427729 Report

1. Topology will be damn near impossible to work with for animating. You will probably have to redo the whole thing depending on how the different parts will deform. If you have any facial movements planned, that will not work. Also get rid of that ngon on the nose, and any others on the model.

2. Smooth preview doesn't mean anything if its going into a game. You will be working with the model you see on the right.

3. Make the model in quads and then make a version that is completely comprised of tris, game models don't use anything but them to my knowledge. There may be some rare exceptions

Organic modeling is an entirely different beast, the best advice I can give is to follow a tutorial for making a human. From then on you can apply the same general principals to other creatures.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)08:53 UTC+1 No.427730 Report

The topology is total shit on the face, it will definitely need to be redone unless you're doing very minimal or specific animations where the poor edgeflow won't matter. overall though definitely check out some tutorials for topology, it might be a bitch to redo the model but it will be a lot less of a bitch than trying to animate what you have now.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)08:55 UTC+1 No.427731 Report

>>427729
Actually there will be no facial movements. Only the slightest ones, like moving nose.

Also, could you justify the statement that it will be hard to animate? I'd like to drill the problem, so I won't repeat those mistakes. Do you mean stuff like bad edgeflow not following muscles placement (cause when I was watching face modelling tutorial, they were actaully taking such stuff into consideration), etc.?
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)13:53 UTC+1 No.427737 Report

>>427729
>3. Make the model in quads and then make a version that is completely comprised of tris, game models don't use anything but them to my knowledge. There may be some rare exceptions

Your export will convert the model to tris when you export it; you definitely don't want to save a separate file entirely in tris.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)14:10 UTC+1 No.427738 Report

>>427737
Don't listen to this nigga, triangulation must not be automatic.
You want full control on your triangulation for geometry, silhouette and gouraud shading, not to mention normalmap.
Even if you decide to resort to automatic triangulation, you will still have to flip/spin edges afterwards.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)16:24 UTC+1 No.427745 Report

>>427738
"this nigga" speaking

If you really want to get anal over your triangles and control their direction, wait until late in development. Seriously, you don't want to be making modelling changes to a model that's been triangulated, and you don't want to be loading an old file to make adjustments and hen spending another hour to adjust the triangulation as you wish.

In this day and age, unless you're working on VERY low poly stuff, I don't think manual triangle flipping is a practical, worthwhile workflow.
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)17:12 UTC+1 No.427747 Report

>>427745
>If you really want to get anal over your triangles and control their direction, wait until late in development
well I do agree. Of course it makes changing the model more difficult, but once you're in the texturing phase you shouldn't want to change your model much anyway (ideally not at all but shit happens)
It's not like all triangles must be made bgy hand, but critical areas require intervention or the model will be affected in a negative way
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)17:36 UTC+1 No.427748 Report

>>427747
what games have you made (self) / links

wating
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)22:22 UTC+1 No.427756 Report

>>427728
i'm not one to judge but the rabbits here have longer ears... but it's not bad
>>
Anonymous 06/18/14(Wed)23:17 UTC+1 No.427760 Report

You don't have to completely avoid triangles. Use them if you have to, but if you don't have to, don't use them.
Your loops are going all over the place. Use poles to help guide your loops in a way that make sense.
>>
Anonymous 06/19/14(Thu)00:40 UTC+1 No.427774 Report

>>427760
Okay, that is useful information, thank you
>>
Anonymous 06/19/14(Thu)14:05 UTC+1 No.427797 Report

>>427760

Not him but, could you elaborate on using pols? I'm still unsure on when to put an edge loop in and when not to, or why I should put it in one location and not another..
>>
Anonymous 06/19/14(Thu)18:42 UTC+1 No.427825 Report

>>427797
not sure if i'm understanding the question, but it you put an edge loop where you need one.
for example, i needed to add detail to the nose, so i insert a pole so i can have a loop that will let me easily add detail.
it really just depends on where you think you will need it.
>>
Anonymous 06/29/14(Sun)07:57 UTC+1 No.428954 Report

>>427748
Water Ship Down.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.