[ 3 / a / adv / an / asp / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / g / gd / int / jp / k / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / o / out / p / po / sci / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wsg / x]

/trv/ - Travel - Travel Shoes

<< back to board
[Delete this thread]

Travel Shoes Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)22:48 UTC+1 No.888421 Report

Can anyone recommend some good shoes for travelling? I'm going backpacking through Australia for the next several months and I need some new kicks. I don't plan on doing much rigorous hiking/camping but a lot of urban sightseeing, so I'm not looking for a hiking boot per se. I just need a good sneaker that's comfortable for walking and being on your feet for extended periods of time. Style isn't super important but I'd obviously prefer something that looks good, unlike my dad's New Balances.

I'm thinking a good, lightweight running shoe is way to go. I've been eyeing a few different Nikes, but currently leaning towards the Nike Roshe Run (pic related). Anyone have any other suggestions?
>>
Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)22:57 UTC+1 No.888423 Report

>>888421

desert boots

buy Clarks or generic (£20 / $30), afaik they're all made in the same factory
>>
Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)23:18 UTC+1 No.888430 Report

Roshes are lightweight but not really for running and aren't as comfortable as other models. I suggest going to a store and trying on shoes with Flyknit (any model) they're better for what you're aiming for.
>>
Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)23:30 UTC+1 No.888438 Report

I much rather like to have some flexible shoes that can fit easily in a luggage as secondary pair, such as Converses, which the only hard part is the sole. Others take so much room...
Although I guess if you're really intending to walk a lot, they do tend to hurt.
>>
Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)23:31 UTC+1 No.888439 Report

>>888430
Thanks, I'll look into that. I wouldn't be using them for running, so that's not a big deal. I just know running shoes tend to be the lightest and most comfortable.
>>
Anonymous 08/17/14(Sun)23:40 UTC+1 No.888447 Report

Used New Balances for my five week backpacking trip in Europe. I highly recommend those shoes.
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)00:33 UTC+1 No.888462 Report

>>888438
Anon has a good point here about packing these kinds of shoes. Just take your favourite shoes and buy some comfortable memory inner-soles for them.
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)04:20 UTC+1 No.888558 Report

>>888447
I agree, New Balance makes really comfortable walking shoes.

>>888438
I made the mistake on my last trip on taking only a pair of hard sole Adidas shoes. Made my back hurt after a long day of walking. For my next trip I'm taking a pair of hiking shoes and a pair of New Balance walking or running shoes. A black pair of walking shoes can even be used for going out in the evening with some nicer dress pants and shirt.
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)05:26 UTC+1 No.888590 Report

Just been in southeast Asia for 4 months and 90% of the time I was in flip flops, the other 10% I was in a crusty old pair of vans for like treks etc they weren't ideal but if you're backpacking you don't really wanna carry massive hiking boots. Just make sure the shoes you chose have good grip!
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)06:18 UTC+1 No.888604 Report

The tread would be the most important... if its a shitty tread... the first rainy day and you will be on your ass. Not to mention the cushion form crushing rocks all day walking around.
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)12:58 UTC+1 No.888686 Report

>>888421
Bring a pair of decent merrell hiking shoes, Merrell makes good shit and they last a long time. Of course they also make you look like a beta bitch, and only an autist would go into a club or bar wearing hiking shoes. Therefore take an extra pair of NEW Converse All-stars in your bag because they are small and flexy and can be packed in there pretty easily, take em out when you are in the city walking around.
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)14:21 UTC+1 No.888718 Report

any kind of slip on shoes (vans, sperry, generic) if I know I am not doing any crazy hiking. ideal for US airports too
>>
Anonymous 08/18/14(Mon)14:56 UTC+1 No.888729 Report

>>888421
get a pair of chucks. If you're overweight they WILL kill your feet. But if you're a reasonable weight, they will strengthen the muscles in your feet, and you'll be able to walk further in the long run. I'm talking about 20+ miles a day, easy.

I'm so surprised when I hear stories of people who, for example, only make it 3-4 days on the camino before blisters, cramps, etc take them out of commission. their feet have just completely atrophied.

In addition, if chucks get wet, they dry fast, they breathe well, they look good with most street fashion.
All the content on this website comes from 4chan.org. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster. 4chanArchive is not affiliated with 4chan.